And she was...

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Back in the water...

Welcome to my new obsession... Here, I thought I was going to have a hard time finding a new team when actually I've been wooed by several. Last night a team captain said he'd already read my scouting report (presumably he spoke to my prior coach) and could promise me beer and cool t-shirts. How can one resist? I'll be down in Salem racing with them this weekend if any one cares to join me.


So, for the non-dragon people I shall explain. The Rose Festival races I took part in are unique. They are put on by the Portland-Kaohsiung Sister City Association. The boats used are made and shipped from Kaohsiung, Taiwan (Flora...feel free to jump in here since you've been there) and are used since this is a culture sharing event. They are pretty. But they are big and heavy and are powered by 16 paddlers. To the majority of the rest of the world dragon boats are smaller, lighter, lower to the water and powered by 20 paddlers. Festive dragon heads are placed on the boats for race days but the look rather boring to the untrained eye. These boats are used for races year round and all
over the world.

Today, dragon boat racing is the fastest growing team water sport. The International Dragon Boat Federation is currently petitioning the International Olympic Committee to have Dragon Boat recognized as an Olympic sport. I love it because it combines fitness, team building, WATER, travel and competition. What does this mean to you, dear friends and readers? I shall bore you all silly with my obsession until my next one comes along!!! And that could be awhile...

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Courtney said…

    So is this like being called up from the minors? Or is the Salem racing sort of an "off-season" activity?

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger K-Lyn said…

    I guess it is more like being drafted to the minors from high school.

    Rose Festival is actually early in the season. Practices for a team usually begin in March(ish) and then races are May - September.

    So, I'm right in the thick of it! Although the races I'd want to attend are Salem, Victoria, Portland and San Francisco. My coach is going to Australia next month.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home