And she was...

Monday, February 27, 2006

The other Canada watches the Olympics

Thanks to Julie for the graphic! I LOVE it!

But today I reference it because the Canadian's here were glued to the TV for much of the Olympics. I hope the rest of my family up north had better coverage than we did. But I won't go in that direction.

We're all very excited for Vancouver in 4 years. We hope to be there for at least some of it. But first...some thoughts from this one.

- Women accounted for some 75% of Canada's medals, they had 11 4th places finishes (this either bodes well for 2010 or is a let down for some) and they won medals in 10 disciplines, more than any other country. As my T-shirt says "Canadian Girls Kick Ass"!

- Canada got 24 medals to US's 25. Not too shabby for having 1/9th the population! I know the Olympic committee set a goal of 25 but no one expected the hockey team not to medal. Don't even talk to me about it. It's all just too painful. Down with the NHL.

- My mother's claim to Canada's success was the fact that nearly 30 per cent of the Canadian athletes in Turin were from Alberta - It must be part of the legacy of the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary. (BTW Alberta's population makes up less than 10 per cent of the country's.)

So on to Vancouver. I hope Canada proves itself able to do even better in front of a home audience. Although I did eventually warm up to the toques by the end I still feel it is imperative that they dump HBC and go back to Roots for their outfits. 2002 was just so stylish!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home