And she was...

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Stop the insanity

I'm refering to the insanity that is the aerial tram project in Portland. The plan to connect a new OHSU building in the new "south waterfront district" (SoWa? So what?) to the main hospital on top of pill hill. Besides the obvious question of why cities like to build their life saving medical facilities in hard to get to places why is a tram the only option to fix this??? Now we fin that the cost has more than tripled in three years to $55 million before the first bricks have been laid.

Personally, I've been in denial about the whole thing. I mean, SUCH a stupid idea. They can't be serious! Can they? Is this monstrosity really to come about?

I guess I issue this as a warning to all those who love our fair city but were otherwise unaware.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger What is flora? said…

    Ok...I can't really imagine this as I don't see how many people would actually be using it. Then there's the question of parking... do they have any planned or are people just supposed to ride public transit there or.. god forbid-drive? that would kind of defeat the purpose.

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger K-Lyn said…

    Well, public transit can barely serve the hill as it is. With the Veterans', Shriners' and OHSU up there most of the patients don't have much income and depend on that now. I beleive the streetcar and possibliy MAX in the future will get people to SoWa.

    Still, I'm not buying it. Since there is all this developement in SoWa I don't get why they aren't building new facilities there, where everyone can get to it. It hasn't been that long since the VA built their new hospital there and OHSU is expanding all the time.

    Where is the budget for this eyesore coming from?

    And can you imagine if you lived in those expensive (currently with a view) houses there? Pissed off!!!

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Blogger Neel Mehta said…

    Pity. Portland doesn't need this.

    I would suggest an alternative. There's nothing on earth like a genuine, bona fide, electrified, six-car monorail!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home