And she was...

Thursday, August 02, 2007

My new best friend

Fliers were passed out for a radio show on local radio at that last
Firefly showing at the Mission and I fell in love a little bit. Wanted
to share:

What a Geek Believes - According to Rick Emerson

I believe that Han shot first. I believe that Ally Sheedy was hotter
before Molly Ringwald cleaned her up. I believe in miniatures, models,
claymation, and not revealing the shark until you absolutely have to. I
believe that George Lucas, for better or worse, changed the way we
see the world, ourselves, and each other . And I believe that we will
someday reach those stars that he himself made visible. I believe that
George Lucas is also a narrow-minded, money-grubbing, pig-headed slave
to the now, who ought to be locked away from his own creations, lest he
do them further harm. I believe that Jean-Luc Picard is the better
Starship Captain, but I do believe that James Tiberius Kirk is
infinitely cooler. I believe that a child standing in line to buy a book
at midnight is fantastic; I believe that reading makes you smart - its
schools that make you dumb. I believe that any episode of Futurama is
better than any program featuring a precocious teenage who's wise beyond
their years. I also believe that Buffy the Vampire Slayer to be the sole
exception that proves this rule. I believe that comic books are an art
form, and will someday be recognized as such. I belive that good shows
die too young; and crap shows last too long. I believe that Eddie Izzard
is the funniest man alive, and I don't care weather you've ever heard of
him or not - it's still true. I believe that a girl who likes movies
about zombies is hotter than whoever is on the cover of Maxim this
month. I believe that Belloch ate that fly, I swear to God that I heard
Luke call Leia "Carrie", and I believe that Samwise Gamgee never quite
got the credit he really deserved. I believe in magic, I believe in
dreams, I believe in the power of music, movies, and the untold worlds
inside an everyday library card. And I do not believe that geeks will
inherit the earth; I believe that we already have.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Courtney said…

    Amen and Halleluia!

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger Neel Mehta said…

    Oh, Rick. You had me at "Sheedy."

    Gets a little too geeky there in the middle, but otherwise, not bad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home