And she was...

Friday, June 17, 2005

I can't. I have rehearsal.

The title comes from a T-shirt that one of my actors has. I want one! We're about one third of the way through the rehearsal process for Much Ado and I'm already exhausted.

But it has been a good week to be a Stage Manager. Both shows I did last year were up for consideration for Monday night's Drammys (Porland's theatre awards) and while we didn't win there was a vibe of "Love thy Stage Manager" all night. Two actors mentioned in their acceptance speeches that it was unfair and wrong that there wasn't an award for SMs and the winning director brough her SM up on stage with her. It was odd, but nice. I don't know how you would award an SM since if you notice me that means I screwed up. No audience member can walk out of a show and say "Wow, that was some impressive stage managing!".

Anyway, I was treated like royalty at the after party. And I was forwarded this cute email that I thought I would post to enlighten my non-thesbian readers to the structure of the theatre community:

Producer:
Leaps tall buildings in a single bound.
Is more powerful than a locomotive.
Is faster than a speeding bullet.
Walks on water.
Gives policy to God.

Director:
Leaps short buildings in a single bound.
Is more powerful than a switch engine.
Is just as fast as a speeding bullet.
Walks on water if the sea is calm.
Talks with God.

Playwright:
Leaps short buildings with a running start.
Is almost as powerful as a switch engine.
Is faster than a speeding BB.
Swims well.
Is occasionally addressed by God.

Actor:
Makes high marks on the wall when trying to leap buildings.
Is run over by locomotives.
Can sometimes handle a gun without inflicting self-injury.
Dog paddles.
Talks to animals.

Chorus:
Falls over doorsteps when trying to enter buildings.
Says "Look at the choo-choo."
Wets himself with a water pistol.
Plays in mud puddles.
Mumbles to himself.

Stage Manager
Lifts buildings and walks under them.
Kicks locomotives off the track.
Catches speeding bullets in his/her teeth and eats them.
Freezes water with a single glance.
IS GOD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home