And she was...

Sunday, June 26, 2005

What do you do with a drunken sailor?

So I couldn't decide what to write about as this weekend was almost too weird for words. Friday night I was Rocky Horror with the incomparable Wade McCollum. I love watching that man but since most readers will not have the chance to see this show (even though it is extending through August 20) I won't trouble you with a full review.

Instead I shall share what I have learned about the Portland Pirate Scene. First, there is one. Second, it's musically based. Third, costumes are involved. Apparently Pirate Rock is all the rage. It makes sense...sea shanties, drinking, men in leather, and women laced into cleavage all make for a fine evening! So by an odd twist of fate I ended up at this year's Festival of Pirates presided over by Captain Bogg and Salty. Captain Bogg is fronted by a guy I vaguely remember from college and much of the Portland theatre community are fans (for reasons which may or may not appear obvious). While I was not in full regalia (I managed a striped shirt) I had fun and will have to look into this phenomenon more at a later date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home