And she was...

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

No, I have a mortgage...

Just saw RENT tonight.

Overall, I'm glad I went. I loved the play. But I feel almost the same way I did about Pride and Prejudice...moments were brilliant and others were painful. In P&P when they stuck to what was on the page for their lines it was great. In RENT when they stuck with what was on the stage for their blocking it was breathtaking. However, when you see people riding a bike, flipping around on poles, and dancing overly energetically and their vocals don't reflect any change it's just too wierd. And all the fashbacks and montages made me physically ill. I sobbed through the end of the play (and occasionally the soundtrack) and got goosebumpes the first time I saw the trailer...but alas, the movie did not come anywhere near that brilliance. There is magic in simple theatrical presentation that was missing. It choose to show you things instead of help you to feel them...oh well.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    A friend who has seen the stage show said that the play made him want to do something about AIDS - it was so moving. But the movie barely focused on it. I agree. The movie felt like,"hey, remember in the 90's when people were trying to fight AIDS?" And it was still very subtle. Instead, Marfan Syndrome was focused on. When we bought the tickets, they gave us a flier about it. One of the actors did a PSA about it before the movie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home