And she was...

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The goal is elevation


So I had crappy seats this time. 300 level behind the stage. Given the experience in April I didn't mind, I just had to be there and I got the tickets Sunday morning (thanks for the help Julie) so no complaints. Right behind a young Neel look-alike that wouldn't dance and a skinny brunette that never stopped. It was an amazing night. The end of the tour. I'm not sure if Bono getting his lyrics back last year had anything to do with their new love for PDX or us getting the last show but he did mention it and I was looking forward to any surprises that might be in store. There were many...

Setlist:
City of Blinding Lights - with many references to Portland
Vertigo - "Good bye, Good-bye" and "Come back, Come back" lyric change
Elevation - thousands of 'Thank You' signs all over the stadium. Bono "No, thank YOU". Someone in the front row had been to see them 41 times!!!
I Will Follow - no Boy cover video like last time but it still rocked
Still Haven't Found - we're all still looking, a nice quieter version of this song still rocked
Beautiful Day - Pretty lights and much jumping around.
Original of the Species - I've recently bonded with this song since the new video. Very nice.
Sometimes you Can't Make it - It's about his father and Bono sang for him...sans sunglasses.
Love and Peace or Else - God I love this song! I love everything about it. Larry out on the ellipse banging his drum...he even let Bono take over.
Sunday Bloody Sunday - "this song is your song. It's for America now."An Irish and American flag found their way on stage.
Bullet The Blue Sky - The Coexist blindfold bit still going strong.
Miss Sarajevo - OH MY GOD! I never thought I would hear this live given that they kinda need Pavarotti and all - but Bono said he's been practicing his Italian and wanted to give it a shot. I think he wrecked his voice a bit in doing it but DAMN! I took an mpeg with my camera and let my jaw rest on the floor.
Pride in the Name of Love - Still powerful!
Where the Streets have No Name - I knew Jeanne was happy in her seats as it was the one she wanted to hear most.
One - Cell phones lit up the stadium "like a christmas tree" said Bono. Lots of "powerful little tools". The screens advised you to text your full name to the One campaign and the names rolled on the screen at the end. They had hoped to have 1 million supporters by 2005...so far they have 2 million. Soon to more members than the NRA, they joke.
Instant Karma - we've all been thinking about John Lennon these days. Another Oh My God moment.

They leave the stage calling out names of people in their crew they wish to thank before they "go downstairs and figure out what were going to do next." The crew knows what to do and they ALL (ok, the spot ops were kinda stuck but the rest were there) came onstage and stretched out around the ellipse wearing t-shirts, each with one letter, which together read "The U2 crew would like to thank Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam for a great 2005. " Yay techies.

Until the End of the World - Bono came back to celebrate...with champagne to shake over the audience.
Mysterious Ways - Two sisters are brought up on stage to dance with Bono.
With or Without You - He continues to hug them through the first verse of the song.

The boys left again to a deafening roar from the crowd who didn't want them to go.

Stuck in a Moment - I'll say, they didn't want to leave either.
All Because of You - Further thanks and another from the new album.
Yahweh - lryic change to take the people of Portland Oregon, take their hearts and keep them safe...nice!
40 - that ending will never get old for me. "How long to sing this song" Bono leaves, Adam leaves, Edge leaves, and we all sing for Larry before he departs leaving the single spotlight center stage. The fans still sing until the lights come up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home